Saturday 27 October 2012



Chapter 12

WW2

The Build-up to D-Day supplement.

More memories.

Communications?

    During the build-up to the invasion, I don’t think we knew exactly what was going on, but we were excited by all the military vehicles, and the many convoys of Bren-Gun-Carriers, DUKWs*, armoured cars, trucks (often towing guns), dispatch-riders, etc.  I now remember that there were several trucks which had reels of wire-cables belonging to signals regiments, which drove about throwing out cables onto hedges, and fences.  These would go on for miles. All along the Pilgrims Way from Otford village to Wrotham, for example.   I can’t remember how they ran the cable across at road junctions, probably on high poles (Hop-poles?).  These were (I assume) telephone wires for communication.   There were no mobile phones, and  few land phones in those days, and radio communication was in its infancy.
     They seemed to have problems at times getting this to work, as you can imagine. 

      I suppose someone must have gathered up all these wires once they were redundant, as the troops moved away as part of the invasion forces.   They may have reeled in, and re-used the wires, in other spheres, I don’t know if that was so.
      I raise this, what may seem to be of little importance as feature of the war, but it does draw added attention to how very different (and limited) communications compare with today.
T.P.  04.07.2010.

*  Amphibious landing-craft.


ARP's Record of Incidents
    In the Summer of 2005 Kent County Council's Archives Unit's Bob Illingworth, based at Maidstone, became interested in my WW2 Childhood Memoirs account.  He carried out some further research and unearthed handwritten Air Raid Wardens Incident Reports, which had been  kept throughout W.W. 2; from these reports he was able to indentify, and relate to, several of the incidents recorded in my account,  which I found to be fascinating.  It also establishes that, whilst the details of the incidents I recalled in my memoirs may not always be 100% accurate, I didn't make the whole thing up!
© Ted Prangnell

No comments:

Post a Comment